Strong Finish’s professional editing services support you at every stage of your publishing project, including: manuscript evaluation, substantive editing, line editing & ESL editing, copy editing, proofreading, research & copywriting, and self-publishing guidance.
MANUSCRIPT EVALUATION SERVICES
As much as you may feel done after completing your first draft, don’t let yourself off the hook. At this stage, an agent or publisher will typically provide a professional writer with a dedicated editor to scrutinize the manuscript and offer comprehensive notes toward revision. Most unpublished writers, however, need to find this help independently. I will read your entire manuscript and provide a multi-page critique that:
- comments on the content, including characterization, dialogue, setting, believability, and research
- comments on the writing technique, including technical ability and style
- suggests steps to further develop the manuscript
- responds to three particular questions submitted by the author (optional).
Please note: Evaluation of a manuscript and subsequent changes or suggestions followed by the author do not guarantee acceptance by an agent or publisher.
SUBSTANTIVE EDITING SERVICES
The substantive phase of editing typically follows through on the points raised in a manuscript evaluation, as writer and editor work closely together to focus and strengthen a manuscript for submission to an agent/publisher or as a developmental step toward self-publishing. My substantive/structural editing service includes:
- clarifying and/or reorganizing a manuscript for content and structure
- suggesting or drafting changes for the author
- may include negotiating changes with author.
LINE EDITING & ESL EDITING SERVICES
Once the “big picture” editing is complete, it’s time to consider style, tone, and flow. My line editing service includes:
- clarifying meaning, eliminating jargon, smoothing language, and other non-mechanical line-by-line stylistic editing
- may include checking or correcting reading level, creating or recasting tables and/or figures, negotiating changes with author.
- For ESL authors, I ensure that your English is correct and effective while retaining your meaning and voice.
COPY EDITING SERVICES
Getting down to the nuts and bolts of language, my copy editing service includes:
- editing for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and other mechanics of style; checking for consistency of mechanics and internal consistency of facts; marking head levels and approximate placement of art; notifying designer of any unusual production requirements
- may include applying Canadian, American, or British style; metrication; providing or changing system of citations; writing or editing captions and/or credit lines; writing running heads; listing permissions needed and/or obtaining them; providing or editing prelims, back matter, cover copy and/or CIP data; may also include negotiating changes with author
- may include fact-checking: checking accuracy of facts and/or quotes by reference to original sources used by author and/or from other sources
- may include mark-up/coding: adding designer-written specifications for typesetter or formatter.
As the last stage of quality control, proofreading ensures that your text is error-free, your style and format are consistent, and your message is maximized. My proofreading service includes:
- reading proofs against edited copy to catch typos and formatting errors; may include incorporating and/or exercising discretion on author’s alterations, flagging locations of art and page references, and verifying html or other style codes
- proofing may include checking adherence to the design sample (including accuracy of running heads, folios, and changes made to type in the design sample); checking page breaks and location of art; and inserting page numbers to table of contents and cross-references if necessary
- may also include checking press proofs.
RESEARCH & COPYWRITING SERVICES
Whether you need to supplement your project with more substantial research or require a fact-check on existing research, these are must-do forms of quality control. I bring a relentless attention to detail, expert internet and search skills, and diplomatic interpersonal skills to the task. My research service includes:
- primary (including first-person interviews, surveys, and questionnaires) and secondary research (thorough examination of third-party sources, including journals, reports, and raw data/statistics)
- fact-checking to confirm details, data, identities, and historical information.
Effective copywriting persuades your audience to act, whether it’s to buy a product or subscribe to an idea. My copywriting service includes:
- advertising, branding, and direct response marketing, as well as radio commercials
- corporate/business content: websites, features/advertorials, blogs, press releases, email blasts …
- and whatever else you need written.
Before you dive head first into the murky waters of self-publishing, call me. I can certainly guide you in determining your next steps so you don’t undermine your authorial reputation or waste time and money.